I experienced the scariest situation ever last night with Aubriana. She was fine all day with Trace and then with Nitavonne, playing, being her normal self, feeling good, eating well, etc. I picked her up at 5:00 last night, brought her home and let her watch Miss Patty Cake while I cooked supper. She was completely fine this whole time. I did think she felt a little warmer than usual, but nothing too extreme. By this time we were at the table eating so I thought as soon as she's finished eating, I'll give her a little Tylenol.
Okay, so we're eating supper together...I was baking muffins so I stepped away from the table to check the muffins in the oven (10-15 seconds)...and when I returned to the table Aubri was completely unresponsive to my voice or my touch. She was starring at the walls then became fixated on the ceiling. I was saying her name loudly and shaking her and was getting absolutely no response from her. Her mouth remained shut and no movement in her eyes, hands, etc. She went completely limp in my arms as I was on the phone with 911. This lasted a good five minutes and FINALLY the police, fire, medics, and ambulance arrived. By this time, she started coming to a little bit, slowly and as more and more people filled my living room, her eyes started looking around and following people, but she still was not her usual self. She even let one of the medics take her and she layed her head on his shoulder and continued to let him hold her. This is very untypical(??) for her to do. They checked her all over and said they thought she had had a Febrile Seizure. These are induced by a fever, although it doesn't even have to be very high and are very common in children 6 months to 2 years of age. In fact her temperature at the house was 100.7. When we got to the hospital it was 101.7 and by the time we left it was 101.0. They wanted to take her to the hospital by ambulance, but I said I could drive her. They were fine with that as long as I was. Everyone was super nice, comforting, and helpful.
I was terrified, I thought I was losing my little girl. I have never seen or heard of this before, it was very, very scary. Scary to see your child in this state and there's nothing you can do. I felt completely helpless.
I quickly got her coat on and ran out the house to seat belt her up. We went to the ER at Methodist West where Trace was already there waiting for us, thank goodness. He was working and I was so thankful he was able to come and be with us. The nurse and doctor checked her all over and agreed with the seizure diagnosis. She also has another ear infection. We got her antibiotics and headed home. I had to give her Tylenol and Motrin through the night and for the next 24 hours to make sure the fever stays away. She slept well last night and is doing great this morning.
Trace got home the night before last and was telling me about a call he got to respond to a
7-month old little boy who was having trouble and had mucus stuck in his mouth they couldn't get out. The symptoms were similar to what we experienced and sure enough Trace found out yesterday that the little baby had a Febrile Seizure. I remember Trace saying it was hard and there was nothing he could do to help the little baby. He's never bothered by calls he responds to except for one's that involve children. Bizzare...then last night we experienced the same thing with Aubri.
Everyone is okay now! Praise God!!
Glad to see that she is back to being herself! I hope you never have to have the ambulance back to your place for little Aubri!
ReplyDelete